My Cart

Close
About William Evans

About William Evans

In 1883, a man with a vision decided to strike out in an already crowded marketplace to stake his claim.

130 years later and having survived two bomb attacks on the premises, the business is still buzzing and William Evans enjoys the loyal support of customers from around the globe. The visionary Williams Evans took what he’d learned whilst in apprenticeship to the best gunmakers in the business - namely Messrs Henry Holland and James Purdey - and showing admirable foresight, he set up his own establishment at a highly critical moment in the history of gun development. When he opened his first gun shop in 1883, William Evans joined a vibrant marketplace in Victorian London where more than a hundred gunsmiths plied their trade within walking distance of Trafalgar Square. Williams Evans set the foundation for a loyal and discerning clientele who would demand reliability and discretion that carries forward to present day.

  • A History of Discreet Craftsmanship

     

  • A Tradition of Quality Apparel

     

  • The Smartest Shooting Accoutrements

     

  • An Uncomprimising Modern Sensibility

     

William Evans Timeline

1883

Founded the business at 95a Buckingham Palace Road and in 1885 moved to 4 Holden Terrace in Pimlico.

WWI

During WWI like most British gunmakers, William Evans contributed to the war effort making modifications to the standard issue military rifles.

1888

By 1888 his reputation had grown and his business progressed enough for him to move to a more prestigious address at 4 Pall Mall Place. In 1896 the company moved yet again to 63 Pall Mall, opposite St.James's Palace.

1944

On February 23rd, 1944, just before 10.45pm, Pall Mall was hit by a war-time bomb killing 8 civilians and wounding more than 50 others. The company's premises at No 63 was badly damaged and, as a result, the company was forced to move around the corner to 67 St.James's Street where it has remained ever since.

1883

Founded the business at 95a Buckingham Palace Road and in 1885 moved to 4 Holden Terrace in Pimlico.

1888

By 1888 his reputation had grown and his business progressed enough for him to move to a more prestigious address at 4 Pall Mall Place. In 1896 the company moved yet again to 63 Pall Mall, opposite St.James's Palace.

WWI

During WWI like most British gunmakers, William Evans contributed to the war effort making modifications to the standard issue military rifles.

1944

On February 23rd, 1944, just before 10.45pm, Pall Mall was hit by a war-time bomb killing 8 civilians and wounding more than 50 others. The company's premises at No 63 was badly damaged and, as a result, the company was forced to move around the corner to 67 St.James's Street where it has remained ever since.

Today, William Evans still produces Best London guns and rifles, an extensive range of essential gun accessories, clothing and gifts. Whatever the customer’s requirements he, or she, will be guaranteed a warm and friendly welcome, professional sporting advice and, particularly important to the many prominent patrons of William Evans, total discretion in all aspects of every transaction.

Hello You!

Enter your email address for stock alerts, discounts, promotions and more!

SEARCH THIS STORE